How to get good at photography. The following are tips I have accumulated from over 10 years experience teaching and shooting professionally.
1. Always be working on SOMETHING. This can be a technique, a style, it can be shooting in low light. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT IT IS. Just always be working on something. Don't get complacent. If you’re going into a job or personal project or just doing some travel photography, go into it thinking to yourself: “WHAT DO I WANT TO WORK ON TODAY”
2. Keep a Journal. This one layers onto the idea of always working on something. My advice: go into a job, a shoot, or project with an idea of what you want to achieve. Afterward journal what worked? What didn't? But this is important: YOU MUST DO THIS WITH KINDNESS. What does this mean? Remove the ego and do not limit yourself to what did not work. Be kind to yourself and ask, what went well and WHY?
3. TAKE A CLASS OR FIND A MENTOR Some people can go it alone but most cannot. It doesn't mean that they're not talented, just that that is not how they learn.
4. LOSE YOUR EGO Try to get honest feedback from your peers and DO NOT rely on social media feedback. I swear to you, my least interesting photos are the ones that get the most likes. The images that perform the best are not necessarily you’re best In the case of instagram the images that are successful are the equivalent of junk food that gives you that blunt sugar salt and fat fix. THERE IS NO SUBTLETY
5. GO OUT AND SHOOT How do you get good at Soccer? You play soccer. How do you get good at photography? You take photos.